How do I amend the workflow in the trial cloud version?

Aisling OBrien May 8, 2019

I am trying to create a workflow in the JIRA cloud trial.    It says - 

Generated by JIRA Software version 1001.0.0-SNAPSHOT. This workflow is managed internally by Jira Software. Do not manually modify this workflow.

Can I not modify a workflow in the trial version?  

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2019

You can edit the workflow, but when a workflow has that tag, it usually means it is a Jira Software "simplified" workflow - these can be edited by board owners, not just admins, and their edits can easily destroy any changes you as an admin might make.

Unless you are sure this workflow has been de-simplified (the basics of de-simplifying it will not change the description), I would strongly recommend not editing the workflow.

By the way, a trial is the same as a full unlimited user number licence, the software is the same, without any extra functions for paying.  They want you to be able to try out everything.  A trial licence just expires and sets the system read-only when it ends.

So it would be best to create my own workflow?  I know the workflow I need as it is what is currently happening.  When I add columns on the board there are no status to map.  So I need to create something.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2019

Possibly.  It depends on what you are trying to do - if the aim is a different process and you're adding stuff to the workflow to define that process, then I would copy the existing one, mould it and then apply it back to the project(s) - that re-application would de-simplify it too.

But "when I add columns to the board there are no status to map" is not something you're going to solve just by editing a workflow, especially if the workflow is already correct.  You need to look at why "there are no status to map"

Start with a look at the board filter - what does that say?  It might be as simple as "project = X" which is fine, but we need to know broadly what it is doing to start with, as that narrows the pool of status the columns can use. 

Then a look at the current board configuration for columns, even if it's empty, we'd like to see that.

Board filter says 

Filter Query project = ORDER BY Rank ASC

Ideally I would like 6 columns (with a separate backlog) with all statuses able to transition across the columns as needed.  I don't have a status to add to any additional columns I create.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2019

Ok, we need to see the current column configuration - right the way across, with all the headings and blank spaces beneath

Aisling OBrien May 10, 2019

Capture.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2019

Ok, that's great. 

You need to edit the workflow to add more status into it. 

Despite the description, the workflow is not "simplified". (It probably was, but then someone copied it or applied it in a workflow scheme on a project, so it's not simplified any more).  The greyed-out "add status" button tells me the workflow is not simplified. 

You'll need to go to the workflow as an admin and amend it, adding more status.

Aisling OBrien May 10, 2019

Done, thank you :-)

Capture.PNG

Suggest an answer