How do I add the "X of Y" indicator to the columns in my Kanban board?

Pieter De Decker November 6, 2016

I found a JIRA screenshot where an agile board has "X of Y" indicators on each column while a quick filter is active, as shown here:

Selection_246.png

I only see "X" in my own Kanban board. How do I enable this feature?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2016

Hi Pieter,

This is not a kanban board, but a scrum board. That you are seeing the Y indicator is linked to a labs feature available on JIRA Software at this moment called Parallel Sprints.

By default, you can only have 1 sprint going at the same time. The next sprint can only be started when the active sprint is completed.

Activating parallel sprints (if it is available on your instance), you can do as described here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-resources/jira-agile-faq/how-do-i-have-multiple-or-parallel-sprints-running-at-the-same-time).

After starting multiple sprints, you will have the choice to select a specific sprint on your board. As soon as you do that, the Y indicator will appear on your columns, so you can see how many issues are in the specific column in the selected sprint.

Pieter De Decker November 7, 2016

Ah, that explains a lot. I didn't realize that this feature was specific to Scrum boards. So there's no way to get the "X of Y" notation on columns in Kanban boards where X is the amount of tickets with the filter enabled and Y the amount of tickets without the filter enabled?

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2016

Hi Pieter, that's not possible. What you can do, is set the minimum and maximum limit of a column (in the board configuration, at the top of each column - Given that you specified a column constraint at the top of that same configuration page).

These limits will be shown at the top of the columns and make the column turn read if you exceed them.

Suggest an answer