How do I add the "X of Y" indicator to the columns in my Kanban board?

I found a JIRA screenshot where an agile board has "X of Y" indicators on each column while a quick filter is active, as shown here:

Selection_246.png

I only see "X" in my own Kanban board. How do I enable this feature?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote

Hi Pieter,

This is not a kanban board, but a scrum board. That you are seeing the Y indicator is linked to a labs feature available on JIRA Software at this moment called Parallel Sprints.

By default, you can only have 1 sprint going at the same time. The next sprint can only be started when the active sprint is completed.

Activating parallel sprints (if it is available on your instance), you can do as described here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-resources/jira-agile-faq/how-do-i-have-multiple-or-parallel-sprints-running-at-the-same-time).

After starting multiple sprints, you will have the choice to select a specific sprint on your board. As soon as you do that, the Y indicator will appear on your columns, so you can see how many issues are in the specific column in the selected sprint.

Ah, that explains a lot. I didn't realize that this feature was specific to Scrum boards. So there's no way to get the "X of Y" notation on columns in Kanban boards where X is the amount of tickets with the filter enabled and Y the amount of tickets without the filter enabled?

Hi Pieter, that's not possible. What you can do, is set the minimum and maximum limit of a column (in the board configuration, at the top of each column - Given that you specified a column constraint at the top of that same configuration page).

These limits will be shown at the top of the columns and make the column turn read if you exceed them.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Sunday in Agility

You asked for it, so we delivered: images on issues have arrived

A picture tells a thousand words. And agility boards have just released their latest feature: cover images on issues – so now your board can tell a story at first glance. Upload attachmen...

189 views 1 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you