How do I add a link from JIRA to our server hardrive?

Sheena Mclennan August 15, 2016

I need to be able to add links in JIRA issues to files on our servers. I can see how I can link to webpages but how can I add this link to the server? it is possible to insert a link to a URL in an issue but I can’t see how to link to a server –  I tried using [file:\\'drivenname'\'foldername'\'filename.pdf'] for example, but it doesn’t work.

I would prefer to use an add on rather than modify or add to JIRA source code. 

Thanks!

1 answer

2 votes
crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 15, 2016

Anything that allowed you to link to an arbitrary file on the server would be a very serious security problem.  We don't allow you to do this, and you don't really want us to.

If you mean the file is on some other server, things get a bit more interesting.  The "file:" profile is somewhat ambiguous in what it means.  It could mean either SMB or FTP or NFS for instance. The way a "file:" URI is interpreted is left up to the operating system in most respects, and it tends to depend on the operating system of the client more than the server, making it very very hard to get this right.

You will save yourself a lot of time and worry by referring to the file using HTTP.  Failing that, you could get the server's administrator to drop it into the web application and access it using a static URL.  Or have the server's filesystem mounted on the JIRA server machine and reference it indirectly through there.

Really there are lots of ways to get there, but file: URLs have so many problems, security and consistency wise, that I don't honestly see a good way for them to be supported.

Suggest an answer