How do I add a Jira Core Board to a Project Management project that has a custom workflow?

Simon Chang April 11, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: JIRA Core Labs

Hi - the JIRA Core Board was great on the test project I created when evaluating Jira.

However when I created a custom workflow and an associated project - no board.

I've made a Kanban Board but it's not as good because the project options don't appear on the left and the issue viewer/editor isn't the same.

Ironically, the new workflow has somehow associated itself with the test project - so I have a JIRA core board with the custom workflow on my test project - just not the real project where I need it.

Any ideas?

2 answers

0 votes
Simon Chang April 11, 2016

Help! I did as you suggested and all my issues disappeared! How can I get them back?

Wazza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 11, 2016

Hi @Simon Chang,

Are you sure you bulk moved the issues to the correct project, and that you have permission to view that project? Your issues will still be available, you just may not be able to see them. I'd suggest contacting our support team so they can check out your instance and how your projects are set up, and help resolve your situation.

Thanks,

Warren

0 votes
Wazza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 11, 2016

Hi @Simon Chang,

We've shipped the functionality to associate custom workflows with a JIRA business project and still retain a board. Without direct access to your instance I'm not sure what the issue could be, but I'll list a few things that come to mind, and if they don't help, I'd suggest chatting to our Support team. 

• JIRA Core boards are only available on business projects, so make sure the custom workflow is being used by a business project (and not a software or service desk project). Creating a software (or service desk) project and changing it to a business project won't get you a Core board. The board is only generated when you create the business project.
  • JIRA Core boards were only available on new project management business projects from the 15th of Feb, and on all new business projects from the 27th of March. Any business projects created before these dates will not have a Core board, and will not, unfortunately, be able to have one on that project. (you could however create a new business project and bulk move all the issues to the new project to get a board though).

So from that, the process would be:

1. Create a business project (this will get you a Core board).
  2. Click project settings, select your workflow and modify it. Don't forget to publish the modified workflow to make sure it's associated with the project.
  3. Bulk move all relevant issues to the project.

I hope that helps!

Warren

Alexander Croote July 20, 2016

But waht if I have 2 different business workflows in the same project - board has disappeared?

Alex

Sebastian Ovide October 10, 2017

In my case, I have a "business" project without coreboard. As soon as I change it to "software" project the board appears... should not be the other way around ?

any ideas ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events