How do I add a Custom Field under the Details section?

Gary Kosman March 1, 2017

Hi there, 

I would like to add a custom field called "Freshdesk Case" to the Details section of our Issues screens. 

How can this be accomplished? 

I've created the field, but cannot find how to place the field on the screens I need. 

image2017-3-1 14:7:56.png

Thanks for your time and help. 

Best, 

Christina (https://americalearns.atlassian.net)

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2017

If you don't mind where in the 'details' section the field will show, then you can do it.

Your screen mockup implies that you want the field to show on the right, under your 'Resolution' field. As Nic says, that can't be done.

If you don't mind it being on the left, in the same column as your 'Environment' field, (but above the Description section) then you can do it.

Assuming you have already created your custom field, follow the instructions from 'How to manage associated screens':

1. Choose  (JIRA Administration) > Issues
  2. In the Fields section, click Custom Fields.
  3. Find your 'Freshdesk Case' custom field and click  > Screens.
  4. Tick the checkbox(es) for the screens on which you want to display this custom field.

If you don't know which screen you need to add it to, or you still can't get the field to show:

1. Go to any issue where you'd like your "Freshdesk Case" field to show (for example ASSNS-200).
  2. Click the Admin button (next to Close issue button).
  3. Choose Where is my field?.
  4. Type the name of your field (i.e. "Freshdesk Case").

This will give you helpful information on why you can't see the field, and how to make it show.

Hope this helps. But let me know If you are still having problems getting it to show and I'll try to help more.

Sam

Gary Kosman March 2, 2017

Hi @Sam Hall, 

Thank you so much. Your guidance was so clear. Really helpful. 

So, I was able to add the field to the description section (if I add a value), but I'm running up against this: 

2017-03-02_9-21-49.png

... I did set a "default value" as None in the Custom Field Configuration section.

Is it possible to get the field to always appear? I thought by adding a default value this would happen. What am I missing?

Best, 

Christina

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2017

What type or field is your custom field? Text Field (single line)?

If it is, then setting default value to the text "None" will work, but it will only apply for new issues that you create.

If you want to set it on existing issues, then you'll need to edit each issue and set the value. It's possible to do this in bulk if you need. Take a look at: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/editing-multiple-issues-at-the-same-time-776997757.html

Also, if you find answers on here helpful, please consider up-voting or marking one as accepted.

Like Gautam Heble likes this
Gary Kosman March 2, 2017

Thanks, @Sam Hall! 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2017

You don't.

That change requires code change, which you can't upload on to Cloud.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events