How can you create a new client role that can comment on their project but is read only for everything else?

Jordan Smith April 8, 2016

How can you create a new client role that can comment on their project but is read only for everything else?  Is this possible?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2016

I think you're 99% of the way there already!

First, as you hint, create a new role - Admin -> users  -> Roles.  I'd call it something like "comment only".

Secondly, go to your project and work out what "permission scheme" it is using.  Go into that and add

• Browse: Role: "comment only"
  • Comment: Role: "comment only"

That will mean any user or group you add to the role of "comment only" in the project will be able to see all the issues and comment on them, but nothing else (unless you add them to other roles).  I included "browse" in there so that you can do it with any user without having to add them to the project in other ways!

You might want to consider repeating the second step for all of your permission schemes, so that all the projects can have the function if they want it!

Jordan Smith April 8, 2016

What if I only want them to see the projects there are assigned, can I still assign them to a project if I remove them from the jira-users?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2016

Technically, yes, but...

If you remove them from jira-users, then they won't be able to log in.  You will need to provide them with another group that can log in (I'd add a new "can log in" group, and add that to the "can use" global permission)

Suggest an answer