How can you create a new client role that can comment on their project but is read only for everything else?

How can you create a new client role that can comment on their project but is read only for everything else?  Is this possible?

1 answer

0 votes

I think you're 99% of the way there already!

First, as you hint, create a new role - Admin -> users  -> Roles.  I'd call it something like "comment only".

Secondly, go to your project and work out what "permission scheme" it is using.  Go into that and add

• Browse: Role: "comment only"
  • Comment: Role: "comment only"

That will mean any user or group you add to the role of "comment only" in the project will be able to see all the issues and comment on them, but nothing else (unless you add them to other roles).  I included "browse" in there so that you can do it with any user without having to add them to the project in other ways!

You might want to consider repeating the second step for all of your permission schemes, so that all the projects can have the function if they want it!

What if I only want them to see the projects there are assigned, can I still assign them to a project if I remove them from the jira-users?

Technically, yes, but...

If you remove them from jira-users, then they won't be able to log in.  You will need to provide them with another group that can log in (I'd add a new "can log in" group, and add that to the "can use" global permission)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Friday in Jira Service Desk

Looking for anyone who has switched from Zendesk to Jira Service Desk

Hi Community! The Jira Service Desk marketing team is looking for customers who have successfully switched from Zendesk to Jira Service Desk!   We’d love to hear your thoughts on the pros and ...

110 views 7 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you