How can we make resolution field as non-mandatory on jiRA?

Pilar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2015

Hi

I want to make the resolutions field as non-mandatory. 

Is it possible?

3 answers

7 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2015

It is required when on the screen. Don't put it on any screen except the transition screen where you want to set it. If you don't uses it many standard reports/filters won't work.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2015

Exactly. In fact, it's not "mandatory" by default and should never be made mandatory either. Keep it as optional, and then follow what Joe has written here

Like Deleted user likes this
Pilar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2015

Hi Nic, In my instance, resolution is mandatory by default. I checked in the field configurations and could not find the optional/required switch for Resolutions. Can you pls suggest what may be going wrong and how can i make the resolution field back to non-mandatory. And i have also checked there are no workflow post functions making the field mandatory from there.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2015

Pilar, Did you check to make sure it isn't on the screen used during creation? As I said before, it is required ANY TIME it is presented on a screen that can be updated. That is why it should only be put on the screen used in the transition you want to set it. Unless someone messed with the base code or is running a script in the background, the only way to make it required when it isn't on the screen is in the field configuration.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2015

It's not mandatory. I suspect what you mean is "it is set when I put it on a screen". Please do not confuse these two - mandatory has a specific meaning in JIRA (you can not leave the field empty, and there is a flag to set this in the field configuration) and Resolution *IS* empty until you set it, so by definition, it can NOT be mandatory. Do NOT put the field on any create or edit screens. That's all you need to do.

2 votes
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2015

Hey Pilar,

Generally for custom fields we can mark them as mandatory/optional editing field configuration. Unfortunately, as far as i know you cannot make resolution field non-mandatory.

Regards

Chander Inguva

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2015

It's optional by default. Do not confuse "mandatory" with "does not have an empty value on screen"

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2015

What's the use case here? The Resolution field is being used by many many JIRA features. You can always set it to something you will not use or something unrelevant so that it will have a value somehow and don't mind it.

You may also want to chime in with this https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-7159 if you want Atlassian to think twice about it smile

Suggest an answer