How can i identify JIRA servers?

Ilya October 31, 2016

Is there a retrievable unique identifier for JIRA server? The plugin does receive a data payload which contains clientKey, but how to get it using REST or some other api from plugin-related desktop application? I was thinking about using baseUrl as a reasonable identifier, but what if server moves to another host or changes url? How can i understand which client I am dealing with?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2016

For Cloud, baseUrl is reasonable - the only way to change a base url at the moment is to buy a new one and then export/import the data. 

For server, ideally, you'd probably want to use the Server ID.  It is possible for admins to hack or clone it, but that doesn't happen a lot.  It's not available to REST though.  I think the best you can do over REST is to look at the server info - https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/server/#api/2/serverInfo

3 votes
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2016

The fact that you use the word clientKey suggests to me that you are writing an Atlassian connect add-on. In this case, you MUST use the clientKey as the unique identifier and NOT the base URL. You may have a method that uses the baseUrl to look up the clientKey (or vice versa) but don't use the baseUrl as your unique identifier for a tenant.

We have documented this:

If the Atlassian product is the calling application: contains the unique identifier of the tenant. This is the clientKey that you receive in the installed callback. You should reject unrecognised issuers.

Source: https://developer.atlassian.com/static/connect/docs/latest/concepts/understanding-jwt.html

In the future, Atlassian might implement this popular issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-7184

If you are using the baseUrl as the unique identifier at the time then your add-on will have a bad time of it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2016

Ahh, thanks Robert.  I've yet to write a Connect add-on, so I've not run into it. 

Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2016

It's no problem at all. The question does not even mention Atlassian Connect so my answer might be off the mark; I'm just making a guess here. But yes, for people writing Atlassian Connect add-ons wanting to uniquely identify cloud instances / accounts / tennants then the clientKey is the way to go.

For server your answer is spot on!

Suggest an answer