How can i create and update records in a single CSV import

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2016

Hi All

I have say 20 records to import in my CSV. Out of these 20, 15 records already exists and 5 are new to be created in JIRA.

Is it possible to do the update/create of all 20 records in a single CSV import?

Rahul

2 answers

0 votes
LeahH December 1, 2016

I keep getting an error importing issue with my summary column when trying to update. It was created ok originally, so not sure what the issue is.  Anyone coming across this?

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2016

Hi Rahul,

It is possible, but you must import your CSV using the 'External System Import' function (which is on the 'System' page within JIRA Administration).

Set up a CSV with a 'Key' column to which has the issue keys of the records you want to update. Leave this column empty where you want to create new issues. So a simple example would be:

Key,Summary
WORK-10,Update
,New Issue
,Another Issue

When you get to the 'Map Fields' step in the import wizard, map your Key column to 'Issue Key'. JIRA will use this to work out which issues to update:

issue-key-mapping-csv-import.jpg

I hope this helps.

Sam

Suggest an answer