How can I unset the assignee when showing the requesting feedback screen?

Christian December 11, 2016

Is there a possibility to unset the assignee field when showing a transition screen?

Unassigned issues are not allowed in our JIRA instance.

Use case:

When requesting feedback I often forget to also set the new assignee, which requires another edit of the issue and so another email. This is annoying so I want to force me and all other users to choose the assignee. Setting the assignee element to an invalid state would solve the issue.

Post-transition is AFAIK no solution.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2016

You can't.  You've turned off the ability to have unassigned issues, so there will always be an assignee.

The best you could do is in a workflow validator that can detect when a user does not change the assignee on a transition and blocks them from continuing until they've done it.

Christian December 12, 2016

But I don't want the invalid state to be saved. It should just exist in the user's browser (like a client-side feature). Still no way to achieve that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2016

You could inject some vile javascript hack that deselects the current value when they go into the screen, but then it won't show the current value and when they forget to change it, it's going to throw horrible errors rather than a proper error.

I'd really not do it that way.

Christian December 12, 2016

Nah you're right that sounds wrong. Thanks for your help anyways! smile

Suggest an answer