How can I show a custom field like we show description?

stentas October 13, 2016

I'm not a JIRA admin, so I don't have access to do any changes. The JIRA admin thinks we need a plugin to achieve what I want, but I'm not so sure.

According to this tutorial, it's very simple to create a custom field (text box). But showing it like we show description is a according the the JIRA admin not possible without a plugin.

Skjermbilde Jira.PNG 

Is it possible, out of the box, to show custom fields like we show description and issue links / comments?

Following Charlie Misonne's suggestion, we only get this. The custom field becomes a part of the Details section. We want this custom field to be a custom editable section like shown on the pic below.

Skjermbilde Jira 2.PNG

Can this be done following Vitaliy's suggestion?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2016

Not sure what you mean by "like we show description"

If you mean in the agile view at the right of you board you board admin can do the following:

• board configuration -> issue Detail View
    Here you can define which fields to show

stentas October 13, 2016

Great. And if I click the issue link and get a full view of the issue, will it show here as well?

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2016

that's another setting but probably it will

Your admin should add the field to the screen used for the "view" operation. He can check which screen is in use in the screen scheme of the project and add the field to the appropriate screen

stentas October 13, 2016

Charilie (and @vitaliy zapolskyy), see my above update. Is it clearer now what I'm trying to achieve? smile

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2016

Ok so you want it under a separate header

I don't think that's possible

1 vote
vitaliy zapolskyy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2016

Issue type screen scheme define what screens are used in "Create", "Edit" and "View" modes (its possible to use the same screen).

Screen you've provided seems to be "View" screen.

JIRA Admin can add desired custom field to this screen. The most convenient way is to use Admin helper: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/jira-admin-helper-802593078.html

Note: JIRA shows Description placeholder even when there is no description (it is blank). Any blank custom field will not be shown. I doubt if any plugin can override this behavior.

0 votes
Support IVèS November 5, 2020

Since 2016, no answer was given ?
Is it possible now, 4 years later, with all updates done ?

To be clear :

- We have added custom fields but they appear under Detail header.

- We would like custom fields in separate headers, like Detail, Description...

Exemple of a Issue View:

- Header Detail with all default fields

- Header Description_1 (to be renamed) with wiki multi-lines text field

- Header Description_2 (to be renamed) with wiki multi-lines text field

- and so one

I'm using Jira Software/Core 8.5.1

0 votes
Pavel Bryukhanov July 29, 2019

Despite this is marked as "Solved", I spent quite a few hours trying to understand how to fix this. 

You need to create a Text Field, and convert it to WIKI style text render. This way you will be able to post URL. 

Here is 5 minute video which I have created on how to do this. 

https://youtu.be/QCNHPy88iKA

I hope it helps. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events