How can I retain the previous sprints in Jira when I am updating a new sprint for the stories

Phaneesh C Gopisetty August 28, 2019

I have few stories that are not complete in the current sprint and I want to add it to the future sprint also. When the Story moves to the next sprint automatically I see that the sprints it was worked on are maintained. Now if I move it to the new sprint all the previous sprints mentioned on that Story are gone. How can I maintain the previous sprints attached to the story\bug?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2019

Hello Phaneesh,

Thank you for reaching out.

It seems that you would like to move the story to a future Sprint before the current active sprint finish, however, it is causing the previous Sprint to be removed from the issue history. Is it correct?

Please, allow me to bring up some concepts about how the Sprint field works so we can clearly confirm that we on the same page here:

- Once a Sprint has come to an end and there are still Stories not solved on them, the Stories can be automatically moved to the next Sprint or to the backlog. No matter which way you choose, the previous closed Sprint where the issue belonged to will be added in the history of the Sprint field and properly displayed in the Sprint Report for future reference and estimation.

- However, once you add a story to a Sprint but removed it before the Sprint is finished, JIRA will not keep that Sprint in the history of the Sprint field in that Story.

Basically, JIRA only considers that Stories were effectively worked during some Sprint when the story-sprint relation was kept until the end of the Sprint, otherwise, JIRA will consider that the Story was added by mistake and that no work was planned to be performed for that Story in that Sprint.

As JIRA works in a single Sprint order, I recommend you to keep the story until the end of the current Sprint (Even if no work will be performed anymore) and move it once the current Sprint is finished, so the history of the old Sprint will be kept.

Let me know if it makes sense to you.

Phaneesh C Gopisetty August 29, 2019

Thank you Petter for the response.

I had a story which was being worked on in my previous 2 sprints. It was maintained in the Sprint field all the while. However, yesterday morning I have moved the story to the new Sprint and all the previous history is gone. How can I undo this? Is there an option available?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2019

Hello Phaneesh,

Is the previous Sprint where the Story was moved from still open? Or it was closed after the issue was removed from it?

If that's the case, you can reopen the sprint as described in this documentation,  and re-add the Issue to that Sprint to close the Sprint again and add it under the issue history, however, I don't recommend you this approach since it can cause some incoherencies in your Sprint Reports with other issues.

That being said, I would just add a comment with an observation to that specific issue mentioning the Sprint.

Suggest an answer