How can I perform a one-time bulk copy of system field values to a custom field?

Daniel Bower December 11, 2015

Seems like it should be pretty straightforward, but I haven't found a way.  There seem to be similar questions on here, but not with answers.

If I have a filter with x-number of issues and want to copy a system field of date type to a newly created date field, how can that be done?  For new issues, it will be populated automatically by a post function, but for historic issues I haven't found a method to do this.

Script Runner only works for custom field to custom field.

2 answers

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2015

JIRA Command Line Interface (CLI) is often used for doing various bulk operations. In this case, you would use the copyFieldValue action. Front end that with runFromIssueList with a JQL that identifies all the issues you want to update. See How to use runFromIssueList if necessary.

0 votes
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2015

This script copies a value from one custom field to another.

I think you can modify it to your needs. It could be run from script console for scrit Runner. If it suits I can advice how to use it for set of issues

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.event.type.EventDispatchOption
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.UpdateIssueRequest
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField

/**
 * Script for copy value from one custom field to another
 */

IssueManager issueManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager();
Issue issue = issueManager.getIssueByCurrentKey("SN458-1")
if (issue == null)
    return "No such issue"

//Prepare to update
UpdateIssueRequest.UpdateIssueRequestBuilder issueRequestBuilder = new UpdateIssueRequest.UpdateIssueRequestBuilder();
issueRequestBuilder.eventDispatchOption(EventDispatchOption.ISSUE_UPDATED);
issueRequestBuilder.sendMail(false);
UpdateIssueRequest updIssReq = new UpdateIssueRequest(issueRequestBuilder);

CustomFieldManager customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager();

CustomField cstFld_From = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Name1");
CustomField cstFld_To = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Name2");

if(     (cstFld_From == null)
    &&  (cstFld_To == null)
    &&  (cstFld_From.getCustomFieldType() != cstFld_To.getCustomFieldType()
    &&  (cstFld_From != cstFld_To)
    )) {
        issue.setCustomFieldValue(cstFld_To, cstFld_From.getValue(issue))
        issueManager.updateIssue(ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getUser(), issue, updIssReq);
}

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events