How can I migrate Dashboards and filters from one JIRA instance to another?

Sanaa Marmar June 27, 2016

Hi Team,

I want to migrate Dashboards and filters from one JIRA instance to another. We can't realize the system restore because it'll wipe out all the target JIRA content.

How can I do it without recreating manually all the Dashboards? There are like 50 Dashboards and filters.

Thank you so much in advance.

2 answers

6 votes
George Dinkov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2016

Hi,

Looks like our add-on - Configuration Manager for JIRA - will be well suited for this job. It has support for filters and support for dashboards will be available very soon (including resolution of referenced configuration objects in queries and gadgets for proper handling).

If you'd like an online demo or have further questions don't hesitate to contact us at https://support.botronsoft.com/ .

Thanks!

Sanaa Marmar July 11, 2016

We are using your plugin "Configuration Manager for JIRA" to export and import configurations between two JIRA instances. The target instance already contains projects, so we cannot restore system from the old instance backup. We can only use the import project to import data from the old to the target instance.

We are more than satisfied with the results given with your plugin, but now we need to import dashboards and filters and apparently the current plugin version does not offer this possibility.

Please, is there any way we can export and import all the dashboards and filters defined in the old instance without restoring the old instance backup and without doing it manually?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

George Dinkov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2016

Hi,

We're very happy that you like the add-on, thank you! smile

CMJ does support filters – you can select the filters you want to migrate (or select all) when creating a project snapshot - https://botronsoft.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CMJ/FiltersIn your case the best way to do it is to create a snapshot of a simple project (that already exists on the target JIRA or it will be deleted after the deployment) and select all the filters that need to be moved in the snapshot creation wizard.

As for dashboards – we’re currently working very hard to add support for dashboards and include proper reference handling for as many gadgets as we can for the first version of the feature. We expect to release this feature in about a month.

Thanks!

Sanaa Marmar August 2, 2016

Hi George,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Which CMJ version does support filters? can we use this version with JIRA 6.1.4?

When will be available the support for Dashboards?

Thank you so much!

George Dinkov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2016

Hi,

All the latest versions of CMJ support filters and JIRA 6.1.4 - I'd suggest just getting the most recent one.

I can't give an exact date, but dashboards will be available in a few weeks.

Thanks!

Venu Madhav November 29, 2018

Hi George,

I tried using CMJ but looks like it is taking entire project snapshot but I want to take snapshot of only Filters and Dashboards(I don't want project backup).

In one word to say, I want to take snapshot for only Filters and Dashboards.

How can I do that? Please respond soon.

George Dinkov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2018

Hi Venu,

If you only need to move some filters/dashboards, you can create a simple project with default configuration, then create a project snapshot of that project and include the desired filters/dashboards, and after you deploy the snapshot on the target Jira delete the new project.

Thanks!

Idiyana Salim May 16, 2019

Hi George, 

When you said "you can select the filters you want to migrate (or select all) when creating a project snapshot". Does this mean, if the jql in the filter did not include the project that i used for snapshot can be selected?

For example, i create a snapshot for project A. But the filter i want to select, it's jql is project = B. can this filter be selected?

George Dinkov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2019

Hi Idiyana,

Yes, you can select any filter on the system, even if it's JQL does not include the selected project. The reason is that often you might want to include filters that don't have any obvious relation to the projects in the snapshot.

You can find more information in this page.

I hope this helps!

Like Idiyana Salim likes this
PMO Team August 14, 2019

Hi George,

Recently i have successfully migrated filters using project with issues snapshot. however, all the dashboards are not migrated. is there any steps that i missed?

George Dinkov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2019

Hi,

Dashboards need to be explicitly selected when creating the snapshot. You can find details about how to do it here.

If you're still having trouble, please open a support request, so we can take a closer look - https://support.botronsoft.com 

Thanks!

PMO Team August 15, 2019

I realized that during the snapshot creation, from the projects selection page I directly clicked create button instead of next button which will allow me to select the dashboards. Thanks for your reply.

Like George Dinkov _Botron_ likes this
0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2016

There is no default functionality to do it. You will have to migrate them over using SQL scripts but it will have lot of complications like difference in ids of JIRA entities like filters, JIRA fields etc.

Sanaa Marmar July 6, 2016

Hi Jobin. Please, which tables should I export? Thanks in advance.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2017

Having taken this approach once, I do not recommend merging data from one JIRA database to another. The ids will all need updating, then then foreign keys, then the sequence table. The main table for filters has references to sharing tables by group, project etc. It's all better done at the application level.

davesoft11 April 22, 2021

Having taken this approach once, I do not recommend merging data from one JIRA database to another. The ids will all need updating, then then foreign keys, then the sequence table. The main table for filters has references to sharing tables by group, project etc. It's all better done at the application level.

Okay, @[deleted],  so please tell me how to do it :-)

In particular, we are just migrating one Project from one Jira server to another. How can we get the Dashboards (and Filters) to move over?

Suggest an answer