How can I edit "Remaining Estimate" without it automatically changing the "Original Estimate"?

Narkisska Spruce September 27, 2016

How do I manually edit the Remaining Estimate on an issue without it automatically updating the Original Estimate from that number. eg - to look like this:

. image2016-9-28 11:50:21.png

Currently, the only way I can get the remaining to be different to the original is by logging work.

If I manually change "Remaining", it also updates the "Estimate" to that new figure.

Context: Once a issue transitions to "done", a post-function changes the time remaining to "0", but I also still want to see what the original time estimate was.

1 answer

0 votes
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2016

I believe you have to crosscheck it once again. The Original Estimate will never change based on the values of other Time tracking values like Remaining Estimate or Time Spent.

As per your context, say the issue-1 has Original Estimate value as 1d 1h and you have time spent as 1h, then the remaining estimate will be 1d. While moving the issue to 'done' and if you reset the remaining estimate to 0, then Original estimate remains 1d 1h and remaining will be 0 as required. This should work by defacult as the time tracking behavior.

Narkisska Spruce September 27, 2016

It doesn't seem to. Please see below video: Changing "Remaining" changes "Estimate". ARunning a seperate report confirms the "Original Estimate" has been altered.

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2016

Have you done any customization in time tracking? 

Or whether are you using the exact time tracking fields? Because the field name is 'Estimate' and the UI section is also different from the video you have shared when compared to my screenshot here.

image2016-9-28 12:42:33.png

Please verify the same.

Suggest an answer