How can I define allowed resolutions for e.g. an issuetype?

Dieter Guthmann February 25, 2016

We use JIRA Software and I created a project with that "Simple Issue Tracking"-Wizard.

Before using that wizard we hat the default resolutions fixed, won't fix, duplicate, incomplete and cannot reproduce. The wizard added 3 more resolutions...

These Resolutions are now available in ALL projects - how can I get JIRA to display the three NEW resolutions only in simple-issue-tracking-projects and the 5 other (old) resolutions only in 'Standard'-Projects?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2016

At the project level, you can use workflow properties on any transition that has a screen that allows resolutions.  The properties are "jira.field.resolution.include" and "jira.field.resolution.exclude"; I prefer to use "include" so that new resolutions don't show up automatically.

If you need to restrict on a specific issuetype within a project, you need multiple transitions for each "resolvable" transition using conditions to restrict each one to the relevant issuetype(s).  To make them all appear the same, use the properties "jira.i18n.title" and "jira.i18n.submit"; for default transitions like Resolve Issue and Close Issue, there are existing keys such as "resolveissue.title" and "resolveissue.resolve".  For custom labels, you'll have to modify "WEB-INF/classes/com/atlassian/jira/web/action/JiraWebActionSupport.properties" to add your own.  That file may need re-packing as a jar, I haven't tested and it appears that may be deployment specific.

To clarify that a little, if you have a transition from, say, "In Progress" to "Resolved", with the original transition being "Resolve Issue", you could add "Resolve Bug" and "Resolve Improvement" such that "Resolve Bug" has a condition on the value of the IssueType field being "Bug".  If you want it to show as "Resolve Issue" in the UI, set the workflow property as I described above (resolveissue.title maps to "Resolve Issue").

1 vote
Siaw Yoon Kean February 25, 2016

Hi Dieter,

A way for you to do this is to use the workflow properties "jira.field.resolution.include", for more detail information you can refer to this link https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/37049605. To search for the resolution id, you can either check the database resolution table, or the end of the URL when you "Edit" the resolution.

What jira.field.resolution.include" does is basically like resolution filtering, with it you can choose to include only the resolution you want to appear as an option in the screen that the transition in the specific workflow. However, this filtering will not work when adding a post-function to update the resolution field.

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer