How can I create epics on JIRA Core Project Management Type

isabel.conde November 8, 2018

How can I create epics on JIRA Core Project Management Type? I only see in the panel the incidence creation button

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2018

Hi @isabel.conde,

Epics are not part of Jira Core, out of the box it only has Tasks and Subtasks. You may be ale to create a custom issue type called "Epic," although I have not tried it. However, the field you create will not behave like an Epic issue type does in Jira Software, rather it will be like any other custom issue type you would make. 

If you want true Epic issue types you will need to move up to Jira Software.

Hope this helps, 

-Scott

Sarah Becker December 9, 2019

Hi Scott, can you explain what you mean by "they will not behave like an Epic"? I have the same problem as Maria. 

Many Thanks!

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2019

Hi @Sarah_Becker ,

There are three levels of issues in Jira Software: Epic, "Standard" (Story/Task", etc, and "Sub Issue" (subtasks.) You can create custom "Standard" types and custom "Sub Issue" types, but you cannot create custom Epic level issue types.  So, even if you create a new issue type in Jira and name it "epic" it will only be a Standard level issue type. 

-Scott

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events