How can I create a filter with on demand input?

Iko Azoulay January 8, 2017

For example: instead of currentAssigne(), each time I run the query it will will ask me for which Assignee?

I don't want to create a filter with assigne=xxx. I want the same query to be used over and over with a parameter as an input.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2017

JIRA doesn't have any function to do that.  Save a filter and then educate your users on how to get to it and change the assignee for their own run of it.

Iko Azoulay January 8, 2017

Thanks

10 votes
Heiko Gerlach January 8, 2017

Hi Iko,

I suggest to create a filter and reuse this filter in an additional jql query. Simply create a filter with your condition and WITHOUT the assignee value/parameter. Save the filter to filter1. Nor create a new jql query like

assignee = hgerlach and filter=filter1

As you can see now you can change the assignee parameter easily. It even works with URL parameters/query strings. So you can either define the assignee or you even can define the filter ID via parameters.

Cheers

Heiko

Shin Phil April 27, 2020

It is a great tip! I was able to utilize your solution. Thank you very much.

Is there a way to fix the view of search result the way I setup and save for filter?

Like which columns to show and their orders on printable version of filter result?

Using Jira rest api, I am adding a link to epic issue, which would show the printable version of saved filter with epic link parameter - the sum of estimated, remaining, and time spent from the result all the tasks has the same one epic link.

But it seems like, if any user change the columns for other filter or just search, the result of my saved filter view changed for them as well. The saved filter has a public view permission.

Thanks,

Phil

2020-04-28_15-41.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2020

You are already doing it.  Across the top of the box in your screenshot, you have "my defaults", "filter" and "system".  The selection there tells you which one of the three you are changing.

In this case, it is the list of fields for the filter.  When you save the filter, your selection of fields will be saved with it, so that when someone goes to the filter, they will see your selection of fields.  Only the owner of the filter can set these saved fields.

But, there is nothing to stop a person choosing to view the filter with their own selection of fields.  They won't be able to save their selection to the filter, but they are free to choose the fields that matter to them when viewing any filter.  If they move away from it and then re-select it, it will revert to the values saved with the filter.

Suggest an answer