How can I create a RED Status Category for BLOCKED in JIRA?

Roberto Luis Rodriguez-Estevez July 6, 2016

The idea is to mark issue status in red, i.e. new status category of BLOCKED, in case, a prerequisite to work on the issue is not given.

An example: The infrastructure team is not able to provide a required data base system to me yet, where I can reproduce and fix an application bug. Therefore, it is impossible to me to solve the issue even if I want to. In that case, we need JIRA to show issue status in red, signalizing, something is impeding the progress on that Issue, i.e. special attention is needed.

In other words:

I only know 3 status categories in JIRA. A status may be "TO DO" (gray), "IN PROGRESS" (yellow) or "DONE" (green). In addition, we need "BLOCKED" (red). How can we do that?

Creating a new status, working with workflows and workflow schemas is not the point: Each new status must belong to one of the mentioned 3 categories. We simply need a new one.

Thank you in advice for your time!

(PS: Some ideas I found, like this:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/38851806/how-can-i-add-statuscategory-to-filter-columns-in-list-view

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/30937608/how-to-change-the-color-of-the-category-of-status

are unfortunately not what I am looking for.)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2016

I'm afraid you can't do it - the status categories are hard-coded.

Roberto Luis Rodriguez-Estevez July 6, 2016

Thank you very much, Nic, for your quick answer.

Just to know: Supposing, I have my own JIRA server and I would spend some development work on it: Is there a "clean" way to implement new status categories / colors / red?

(Clean means to me: not changing the JIRA core source, i.e. with a plugin or similar approach.)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2016

I don't think there is, from what I've read in the code, it's layered deeply into it, it's not a plugin or something you can override with a plugin. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events