How can I copy fixVersions from parent issue to issues I am creating using the plugin?

Carlos Rincon September 20, 2016

I am using JIRA Cloud Version and I am trialling the Project Automation plugin to automatically create some issues when a new Epic is created.  On these automatically created issues I want to set the Epic Link (to the key of the parent Epic) and the fixVersions (to the fixVersions of the parent Epic).  I can set the former via the Additional Fields JSON snippet, but I can't find the syntax that will do the job for the fixVersions.  Any help hugely appreciated!

3 answers

0 votes
Phyllis Zhu December 9, 2016

On a related note, how do I copy the Sprint field? 

What is the syntax for accessing the sprint field value so I can append it to the summary of the subtask I'm creating? 

Thanks

Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2016

Phyllis,

I've had a look and unfortunately it can't be done at this time. I've added an issue to track this as I think it is important to do - https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-74

The current problems include the format with which JIRA renders the sprint on the issue. It is some legacy format that is of no use. The other issue is that it is an array (And not a single value).

We should be able to solve both these issues when the above issue is looked at.

0 votes
Carlos Rincon September 21, 2016

Hi Nick

Many thanks for your quick reply.  I tried the new option and unfortunately there seems to be a problem.  The issues no longer get created because of an error.  In the Audit Log I see:

Error creating issue    Version id '10404' is not valid

I should add that the issues I am creating automatically are not in the same project as the source issue, which may have something to do with the error question

BTW, I had been working around the limitation by adding a post function to my workflow to copy the fixVersions from the parent Epic, and adding a component in my automation rule to transition the newly created Epic to 'ToDo', thus firing the post function.  It's a bit hacky but it works..

Best

Carlos

Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2016

Ahh, you didn't say it was for another project.  I've just updated it so it should now work with different projects.

Carlos Rincon September 22, 2016

Perfect - it works a treat!  Many thanks Nick.

Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2016

Great to hear!

0 votes
Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2016

Hi Carlos,

I just implemented the ability to copy the original issues Fix Versions during Create issue.  I added the option "Copy from source issue" that should do exactly what you are after.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers,

Nick

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events