How can I consolidate fields, but have them be contextual based on the Issue Type?

alexlwilson November 30, 2015

I have three fields currently that are specific to three issue types. However, I'd like to consolidate all the options in those three field to one and have the options change based off of the issue type in the same project.

Is there an "easy" way to do this, or is the only option to build a script, or use a plugin?

2 answers

1 vote
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2015

I'm not sure why you need to do this. Much easier is to enable all three fields and hide the unwanted fields by using a different Screen Scheme for the different projects. This gives the appearance of what you're asking for. 

alexlwilson December 7, 2015

I actually do use this method at the moment, but it causes some issues when pulling reports. It just isn't ideal, or elegant.

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2015

What is this Custom Field of yours? Out of the box, each JIRA Custom Field has a "Context" you can configure so that its value will depend on either by Project or Issue Type.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/configuring-a-custom-field-185729468.html

alexlwilson December 1, 2015

Sorry, for the slow response. I guess I can only respond every 24hrs. Anyways, this would be possible if each field were used in a different project. So, using the contextual setting won't work in this case, since the three field are being used in the same project.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2015

How about creating the context per Issue type?

alexlwilson December 4, 2015

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's possible...not unless the contexts are being using in different projects.

Suggest an answer