How can I configure two different URLs, One for Internet access(Published over internet) and another for Intranet access(Through Corporate network).

vijay maligireddy March 8, 2016

How can I configure two different URLs, One for Internet access(Published over internet) and another for Intranet access(Through Corporate network).

Currently we have configured over Internet. which is slow to access as this has to route through internet even though server is with in Corporate network. we want to configure another URL which we can use for Internal purpose.

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2016

You can do it by using a proxy server to proxy/rewrite one of the URLs to the other one, but don't bother - it won't work properly.

JIRA runs on a single URL and uses that for everything.  If you set up a second one with rewrites and proxies, then functions that use the base url won't work on that site (gadgets, reports, REST and email are the four areas I've seen it fail in, and I suspect there's a load more if you did more extensive testing)

vijay maligireddy March 8, 2016

Below is my proxy settings in Apache :

image2016-3-8 19:18:46.png

If I use internal URL in Browser it directly overwrites with External one and proceeds. I am OK to loose few functionalities, but internal URL will speed up the Daily work. I have tried with Host entries locally on system to bypass but didn't worked.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2016

Yes, that's correct, but all the urls in the application will take the users to the base url, so they won't be using the proxy for long.  You really do need to run it on a single url.

josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2016

+1 to Nic's comments.

I tried this too - different URLS made JIRA unusable. All users must access JIRA through the same URL, which must be the base URL. But on my instance, I have DNS set differently on intranet and internet:

For intranet users, DNS points directly to the internal IP of the server.

For internet users, DNS points to a public IP of a proxy which (after second factor authentication) passes through the firewall.

1 vote
Jeff Louwerse
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2016

You could use a proxy server in front of JIRA but I would get IT to fix the network.. IMO a proper network setup shouldn't force you to go our though the firewall and then back in. 

What happens if you use the server IP instead of the DNS name in the URL?

0 votes
Kha Hoang December 20, 2018

I had hard time and never able to make it work.  I found this issue and I put my vote on it.  Hope when have enough vote they will do something with it.  If you had not voted, please do: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-15548

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2016

I agree with Jeff. Both the outside and inside DNS servers should have the same URL entry pointing to the server. That may need some setup by the network team.

Suggest an answer