How can I change the default filters for a project not using the field 'resolved' (special workflow, new navigator)?

Dieter Guthmann October 13, 2015

Hello,

we have a few projects using a indivual workflow and NOT using the field "resolved"...
So every time we open the (new) issue navigator, the default filter "open issues" is selected and NO issue are found. This is a little bit irritating... is it possible to configure other default filters for those projects?

We currently use JIRA 6.4.11.

2 answers

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2015

Code.  You'll have to hack the code providing the panels and filters.

A far better alternative is to stop having projects that "don't use resolution", because you don't actually have them.  You have projects that don't use resolution correctly and hence inadvertently break all the built in reporting (and it's not just JIRA Core, you'll have problems with applications and add-ons too). 

Set the resolution with a post-function as an issue is "closed" and blank it on "re-open".  Your users don't need to know you're doing it, but it fixes all the problems you're making with these projects.

Michael Kornatzki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2015

we have a transition for testing and the developer naturally set the resolution fixed (well maybe i should let it empty) and for some of the default filter this means that an issue is closed but it isn't. Why are the filters using the resolution and not the status?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2015

Because JIRA bases open/closed on the resolution. It always has, and *everything* is coded on that It's not ideal, personally, I'd bin it and use a meta-status, but you can *not* ignore resolution.

Michael Kornatzki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2015

Before this discussion starts i didn't think about to not set the resolution if the developer fix an issue (i should do that). That one need a resolution for all the filters, plugins, ... is a fact (i don't like it but one have to knot it. In my opinion to see if an issue is closed i have a status). One should use resolutions if the issue is closed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2015

There's no debate to be had in this case. The choices available are 1. Wait for Atlassian to change the "resolution = done" principle 2. Rewrite JIRA and its applications and add-ons yourself 3. Set resolution on moving into a "done" type status

Dieter Guthmann November 16, 2015

The "default filter" does not depend on the Field "Resolution" - I can set it via a post-function, but that does not change the situation: that default filter does still not work! Only adding the field 'resolution" to the field configuration of the project solved my problem.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2015

Well, yes it does. If you removed resolution from the field configuration, then fine, it has nothing to work with so doesn't discriminate between issues with or without resolutions.

Dieter Guthmann February 26, 2016

Thanks for the tip: I added now these post-function in my workflow.

JIRA is a great tool, but if you get deeper into it, there are some flaws which shows that JIRA is not so flexible as it seems.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 26, 2016

Well, I'd say it's very flexible, but that gives you complexity in using that flexibility.

I also think "resolution is empty/not empty" is a poor way to do this particular function.  It was fine in JIRA 1 when there was only one workflow, but now we have the power to define our own, it looks pretty daft.

0 votes
Michael Kornatzki
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2015

It's really annoying that for JIRA an issue is open only if it has no resolution.

But if i open the issueNavigator the default filter is empty and i see all issues (JIRA 6.4.10).

How do you open the navigator?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events