How can I change a JIRA system user's username?

Ian Field November 8, 2016

Is this possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2016

Do you mean the "JIRA System user" that Atlassian use to look after your installation?

You can't do that yourself, but I don't know if Atlassian support might make a change to the display name for you.  I don't think they will let you change the login though - they use the same one across all the Cloud systems, and changing it might break automations.

Ian Field November 8, 2016

When we first integrated our Zendesk with JIRA, a system user was created with the username "Zendesk Support for JIRA" -  We are hoping to be able to change this username.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2016

Ah, I don't know that one.  I suspect it might be locked down for the add-on.  If there's no add-on for Zendesk, then I imagine you'll be able to change the name as you do with any normal user.

Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2016

@Ian Field this is an automatically created Atlassian Connect user. We do not allow its name to be changed. Out of interest, why do you want to change the users name to something that is different to the name of the add-on?

Ian Field November 9, 2016

@Robert Massaioli Thank you for clarifying.   We currently have integrations setup with Slack / JIRA / Zendesk so that multiple teams can update and communicate with each other when working on a customer request within the same channel.  The word "Support" is a highlight word for our support team on slack, and so each time a JIRA is created via Zendesk, they receive a ping (currently receiving about 100/day) because this system user's username is "Zendesk Support for JIRA."  Here is an example:

example.png

We would love to remove the "Support" part of this username so that we can reduce alert fatigue on slack.  There are other workarounds we have available, but changing this system username would have been a very easy solution.

Thank you again for your answer!

Suggest an answer