How can I build multiple backlog boards in Jira?

Dale Carruth September 27, 2016

I'm looking to set up multiple backlog boards, 1 for the Product, 1 for the next release, and then a sprint backlog. I also want a board for non-functional requirements. Knowing that an issue can only reside in 1 board at a time, each issue should propagate down from the product to the release, then the release to the sprint through the development. The Product, release, and non-functional backlogs should be Kanban,and issues should be pulled over to the sprint backlog when ready for development.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2016

>Knowing that an issue can only reside in 1 board at a time

That's incorrect.  A board is a view of a set of issues, defined by a specific filter.  There's nothing to stop you have two boards using filters that include the same issues.  Boards can even share the same filter.

Dale Carruth September 27, 2016

Nic, thanks for clarifying. I believe I've confused boards and backlogs.
Getting back to the question, can I have multiple backlogs?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2016

Not on the same board.  A board is defined by its filter and by definition, the backlog is "stuff in the filter we haven't done".  So you'll need separate boards.  A lot of people work the way you're describing though, with different boards looking at the same set of issues. 

A slightly more advanced version might be to have a workflow that shows your pre-development processes, and then not include those status in your Scrum board.  Then issues won't appear on the scrum board until they've got to a certain point in your processes.

Suggest an answer