How can I automate Due Dates from Original Estimates?

Joe Mueller May 28, 2020

Our team is utilizing Jira Cloud - and we have a straight forward process of Estimating all of our work and setting it to "To Do" to grab as we go. I want to be able to automate the Due Date field so that when our devs transition the issue to "In Progress", and if the due date is empty, set the Due Date to when it's transitioned (now) to (now + Original Estimate).

The automation rule in Jira is easy for setting up the conditions, but the action for adding the Original estimate is where I'm blocked.

From this documentation: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-date-and-time-functions/ I can only find syntax for {{now.plus[insertknownquantity]}} 

How do I get that [insertknownquantity] to not be a fixed time, but instead pull from the Original Estimate field? 

3 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Swati Kahol
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2020

Hey @Joe Mueller ,

We have recently published a kb article to add Orginal estimate to a date field using Automation for Jira. Hope this helps :)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/automate-due-date-of-an-issue-from-original-estimate-1021245282.html

Thanks

Swati

Kai Werner November 2, 2021

Works great! Thanks!

This should be a standard feature without automation.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Mueller May 28, 2020

Did some digging and other colleagues were able to provide some info. I didn't know you could embed smart values inside smart values in the rule action.,

So using {{now.plusBusinessDays(issue.timetracking.remainingEstimate.days)}} actually gets the result I was after!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Omprakash Thamsetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2020
Joe Mueller May 28, 2020

This was helpful info, thank you! But we currently aren't using ScriptRunner as a plugin.. we may be integrating soon but for now just trying to utilize the automation rules that Jira Cloud provides.

Suggest an answer