How can I add a new user story from Jira Portfolio?

Brandon Olmstead December 28, 2016

When I click the "+" icon Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 3.31.08 PM.png, I get the following error: "The projects associated with this plan do not contain any issue types mapped to this hierarchy level. Please change your plan's issue sources or adapt Portfolio's hierarchy configuration in the Administration area."

If it try to edit the Portfolio's hierarchy, my epic and user story rows are locked. How do I unlock them so I am able to add user stories from the JIRA Portfolio interface? 

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 3.32.08 PM.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brandon Olmstead December 29, 2016

Ok that makes sense. Why am I missing a "+" icon from the epic then? Isn't that where I would add another user story?

Rhys Christian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2017

Hey @Brandon Olmstead,

The + icon is only visible when there are no children of the issue. As soon as there's at least 1 child issue the "+" turns into an expand ">".

To add another story to the Epic hover your mouse in-line where you want it to be and a plus line will appear. i.e:

image2017-1-4 14:56:32.png

This also works if you want to add an issue to a particular rank in your scope table (without creating at the bottom and dragging it to the desired place):

image2017-1-4 14:57:7.png

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rhys

Brandon Olmstead January 4, 2017

So it's a UX decision. Ok, that makes sense. It would make it easier if the "+" icon never went away. None the less, good to know. Thank you for your help!

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2016

By clicking the "+" icon, you are actually adding a sub-task to the selected story. I suppose that you don't have a sub-task issue type in the issue type scheme of your underlying project, hence the error.

To add a story, scroll to the bottom of you Story backlog in Portfolio and click the Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 11.06.53.pnginstead.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events