How can I add a new user story from Jira Portfolio?

When I click the "+" icon Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 3.31.08 PM.png, I get the following error: "The projects associated with this plan do not contain any issue types mapped to this hierarchy level. Please change your plan's issue sources or adapt Portfolio's hierarchy configuration in the Administration area."

If it try to edit the Portfolio's hierarchy, my epic and user story rows are locked. How do I unlock them so I am able to add user stories from the JIRA Portfolio interface? 

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 3.32.08 PM.png

2 answers

1 accepted

Ok that makes sense. Why am I missing a "+" icon from the epic then? Isn't that where I would add another user story?

Hey @Brandon Olmstead,

The + icon is only visible when there are no children of the issue. As soon as there's at least 1 child issue the "+" turns into an expand ">".

To add another story to the Epic hover your mouse in-line where you want it to be and a plus line will appear. i.e:

image2017-1-4 14:56:32.png

This also works if you want to add an issue to a particular rank in your scope table (without creating at the bottom and dragging it to the desired place):

image2017-1-4 14:57:7.png

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rhys

So it's a UX decision. Ok, that makes sense. It would make it easier if the "+" icon never went away. None the less, good to know. Thank you for your help!

0 votes

By clicking the "+" icon, you are actually adding a sub-task to the selected story. I suppose that you don't have a sub-task issue type in the issue type scheme of your underlying project, hence the error.

To add a story, scroll to the bottom of you Story backlog in Portfolio and click the Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 11.06.53.pnginstead.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

504 views 1 15
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot