Peter McCurdy October 6, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Adding a Custom Field

Ask your question here...

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2016

I'm not sure what the question is here.  Are you worried about data loss or something else?

Peter McCurdy October 6, 2016

I am concerned that the custom field we create will not be available after a new release and we will need to recreate it with each new release from Atlassian.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2016

That would be suicidal for a product.  You'll find all your standard custom fields (i.e. the types that ship with JIRA) will always come across.  They might change the way they work, and if any of them is to be deprecated, you can be sure it'll be a huge announcement before removal, but no, you'll not lose any fields.

Just about all the non-shipped-with-JIRA custom fields will be the same - you still might lose the content, but there are only three scenarios for that - when the vendor never intends a compatible upgrade, when the vendor hasn't got a compatible upgrade, or there are bugs in it.  Even then, the data will be transferred which will mean it'll come back when the add-on is upgraded (and hopefully if there's a bug too)

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2016

Also if you delete an add-on, the data is still preserved in JIRA in case you want to reinstall the same add-on later.

Suggest an answer