How To Create JIRA Issue by Sending Email to our Cloud ?

Zdenek Zraly February 7, 2016

I receive an email when there is a new comment on a JIRA in Cloud. I just reply from within my GMail and my reply will appear in the JIRA issue as a comment. I didn't need to do setup any configuration. 

How do I send email from GMail to JIRA in cloud using cloud email e.g. jira@<company>.atlassian.net so that a new JIRA issue is created?

I searched for answer but always see links to long documentation to various scenarios that don't apply to us. I just need this simple scenario.

e.g. I need to add some tags in subject or body of email ?

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2016

No, you do nothing in the email. 

You need to tell JIRA how you want to handle incoming email, which means you need to follow one of the "long documentation" pages you've probably already found.

Aim for a "create or comment" handler as listed at https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracloud/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-735941056.html

Zdenek Zraly February 7, 2016

Interestingly "comment" on JIRA already works out of the box.

It looks like I would have to create and remember to use many email accounts for each Project, Issue Type and Assignee combination. That is not really good option for me.

I hope Atlassian will add ability to create issues by using "tags" within email, for example:

Email Subject: [[EPKB]]  [[Bug]]   [[Dave]]

which will create JIRA issue for EPKB project, of Bug type and assign it to Dave.

Meanwhile I will create issues directly in JIRA.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2016

Not really, they've pre-set a simple handler to catch the basics, that's no surprise.

Atlassian probably won't create more handlers in the foreseeable future - there is a basic implementation there already, and they'd be trading the same ground that a number of add-on vendors have already done (JEMH for example)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events