How I map a custom resolution to a status?

VanaeW January 14, 2016

In my case, I created a "on hold" resolution but it "closes" the issue. I'd like to map the "on hold" resolution to the "In Progress" status.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2016

There is no "map" between resolution and status.  Resolution is a field and Status is an indicator of where the issue is in the workflow.

I suspect you mean you have created a status and put the wrong status category on it.  If that is correct, go to Admin -> Issues -> Status, find "on hold" and edit it.  You'll be able to change the category there.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2016

Yes, you have created on-hold as a value for the resolution field. That has nothing to do with the status of issues. Most people would see "on hold" as part of a workflow, so yes, I would do it as a status in your workflows. It's not generally useful as a resolution because setting a resolution means "we've finished with this issue", and "on hold" implies you will be coming back to it. JIRA generally assumes the resolution being set means there's nothing more to do, so resolved issues will be ignored in all sorts of places.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2016

major (upvote)

VanaeW January 14, 2016

ah, that makes total sense! thanks for the help guys!

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2016

Resolution is an explanation of why an issue is GreenClosedGreenResolved, or GreenDone. Using a Resolution to indicate why an issue isn't closed will not work and will likely skew your data. JIRA assumes any issue with a value in the Resolution field is done, which is why we only use the Resolution field when marking an issue with a Greengreen or completed status.

Suggest an answer