How Far Can I Upgrade Jira 6.3.3 (server)

Marc Jensen July 7, 2016

I have Jira 6.3.3 (server) and I want to upgrade but which version can I upgrade to?  I don't find the instructions in the JIRA Software migration portal and I don't find any documentation that gives me any idea of what direct upgrades can be made from which previous versions, so I would like some help with this.  Do I have to do a complete new install and, if so, how does that affect my licensing?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2016

The technical answer is that you can upgrade to any version you want.  Your licence may limit it - you can only upgrade to versions released before the end of your licence.  (So if it's still in-date, you can go to the very latest version)

I'd recommend 6.4, then 7.latest in this case, the jump from 6.4 to 7 is easier than 6.3 to 7

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2016

Just out of curiosity, why is the jump from 6.4 to 7 easier than 6.3?  Doesn't the installer just upgrade everything in place?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2016

Always a good question!  In some cases, yes, it works fine.  But we've stumbled across problems on other upgrades.  In most of these cases, just going via 6.4 has got rid of the faults and the handful of others are a case of going into admin screens and re-iterating the information.

Frankly, almost all of them are down to add-ons - 6.3 to 7.x seems to work find when you've only got off-the-shelf JIRA

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events