How Can I convert two or more tasks in sub-task?

Meck
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2016

Hello,

I know how I can convert one by one task in a sub-task. But could I do that for two or more tasks in one action?

Thanks.

3 answers

1 accepted

13 votes
Answer accepted
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2016

Yes, you can convert multiple tasks into subtasks: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-13245

For doing so, perform a search > bulk change > Move Issues.

It is a little bit difficult to find, as logic seems to say that it should be categorized as an Edit Issues operation instead.

Hope it helps.

Meck
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2016

Thanks! 

Leonido Gebhard June 25, 2019

I have created 35 Tasks they all have the same status (to do) and no other tags i can filter with. I want to perform a bulkchange to subtask on 15 of them. when i filter "to do" all 35 are showing without an option to select the 15 tasks I actually want to convert into subtasks.

How can I achieve this?

Alex Jones January 21, 2020

You can always just search for them by the issue key specifically and select them or give them a tag to search on.  A little bit of an effort to type them all in but for just 15 issues its not that bad.

1 vote
Rintu Das (Rin2) December 26, 2017

Step 1: Search for the tickets from issues -> search for issues

Step 2: Select search criteria

Step 3: After getting the desired tickets list, click on three dots at the right corner and select move

Step 4: In next step follow the instruction to convert ticket to sub task.

0 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2016

Lameck,

Unfortunately, not OTTB sad. I haven't tried scripting but I imagine it could be possible.

Meck
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2016

To have multiple issues converted to sub-task, you can use Bulk Operations. Please note that when converting multiple issues, all of them will share the same parent issue.

1. Go to the issue navigator and query for the tasks you want to convert.
  2. Click Actions > Bulk change.
  3. Select "Move Issues.
  4. Finally, select the project, issue-type and parent. 
Like Yohnathan Carletti likes this

Suggest an answer