Hi- Why can't we create Sprints in Kanban board or change statuses through Swimlines?

Hi All,

I wanna maintain sprints in Kanban board or I wanna change statuses of Epics/bugs when moving it through swimlines. At the movement i can't do these things in JIRA boards.

Please let me know a solution for it?

Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Steven Behnke Community Champion Jul 26, 2016

Two questions in one!?

Sprints are part of the Scrum process. Kanban methodology doesn't use Sprints or any sort of iterative process. In a similar vein, in JIRA Software there is no way to plan Sprints on a Kanban board. However, you can point a Kanban board to a query such as sprint = "It's over 9003" or sprint = activeSprint(). Is there a reason the Scrum board doesn't work for you?

Swimlanes indicate explicit queries that show specific issues based on a criteria you choose. There's no way for JIRA to know how you'd want to update issues between lanes. What if someone had a query like updated = 12h? Would it just change the updated date to 12 hours ago?

On the swimlanes one, another example I ran into yesterday - if you have two swimlanes to drag between:

• Business group = Acme
  • Component in (anvil, tunnel paint, dynamite)

How is JIRA supposed to know how to change the data?  It's possible that it could be Acme + Anvil, and that's a valid combination of data, so it's already in both lanes (althoguh JIRA will hide it in the second one because it's already in the first).  Or if it should change Acme, to get it out of the first lane, does it change or drop the Acme?  Change to what?  Even though it's unrelated to the component?

(Yes, I am watching Road Runner cartoons)

That's a perfect example. And I should watch some Tom and Jerry.

In the kanban board it is changing the Epic or Bug Statuses when moving it across columns.

If you want to map specific statuses to columns, you can do this in the Board Configuration and navigating to Columns – 

1. image2016-7-27 21:56:7.png
  2. image2016-7-27 21:56:29.png
  3. image2016-7-27 21:55:11.png

>In the kanban board it is changing the Epic or Bug Statuses when moving it across columns.

Correct, that's what Kanban boards are for.  Columns are a collection of status (often only one status, but you can have many in a column).  As the status are a known, fixed list, you know you can change them.  Swimlanes are for displaying slices of data which can be unknown and contradictory, so there's no way to move between them.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted yesterday in Statuspage

How do your teams prepare for really high (planned) traffic days like Cyber Monday?

Hi there! Shannon from Statuspage here.  👋  With Cyber Monday quickly approaching, we're looking to hear from Atlassian customers – specifically from teams who touch incident response li...

33 views 0 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you