Herzum Approval high-end overview

Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2015

Hi all,

Want to start by saying i am impressed by the details provided in the documentation (everything about the database structure is well formulated, usage of GUI and so forth).

I am however missing a high-level approach to how the add-on work. Does any know of a page that describes what a conditional rule is used for, when approval mapping is needed and real world examples of how to use AWT, ARN, MRA and NAC's.

The low resolution screenshots with generic username (user1, user2, user3) could ideally be improved with high res screenshots using usernames such as User, manager, approver, and naming the templates after something that would explain what they were intended for, rather than template1, template2 and so forth.

I have checked both the user and the admin documentation, Have i missed anything?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2015

Please review my answers to your questions below.

The "Bulk Approver" i.e Approval super-user: Can it only be one user, and not a group?

The latest add-on version released on the Atlassian Marketplace (v. 2.11) allows configuring one user as Bulk Approver.

The imminent version 3.0 is going to allow multiple users (not group) configured as Bulk Approvers.

The new features provided by versions 3.0-JIRA-6.0-6.4 (compatible with JIRA versions from 6.0 to 6.4) and 3.0-JIRA-7.0 (compatible with JIRA version 7.0 only) have been detailed on https://chicago.herzum.com/confluence/display/HAP/Herzum+Approval+-+Installation+and+Upgrade.

On https://chicago.herzum.com/confluence/display/HAODOC/Herzum+Approval+Documentation+Directory you find the links to the suitable Documentation’s Space for each version of the add-on.

In a scenario with a user requesting someone, and another one approving it am i good to use "New approval" rather than "New advanced approval"? Except that addition with doing AND or OR, what distinguish which approach i take?

Case of two users I confirm you just need the 'New Approval'.

If you need to enable a workflow transition only if both the two approvers have approved, you can create two 'simple' approvals as per the example on
https://chicago.herzum.com/confluence/display/HAP/Multi-User+Approval.

If you need to enable the workflow transition if at least one of the two user has approved, you can create a single 'simple' Approval and select the two users.

The Advanced Approval is useful for configurations that are more complex.
An example is available onhttps://chicago.herzum.com/confluence/display/HAP/Configuring+an+Approval+as+union+or+intersection+of+selected+Groups%2C+Project+Roles%2CUsers%2C+Assignee%2C+Reporter+and+Project+Lead.

What the difference between setting the project in "Define Approval Administration" or in "Approval Mapping Administration"?

The Approvals Mapping Administration allows you to configure the approvals for all issues belonging to the selected issue type and Project.

In other words, the Approval configuration will be active on each new created issues and on existing ones.

The overall configuration is override by an approval configuration defined for a specific issue via the Define Approval Administration.

What's the use of multiple approvals i see in the screenshot's? Is it for organizations that needs local approval by a manager, to be signed of a second time my a regional manager which in terms get signed by a global manager?

I suppose you refer to https://chicago.herzum.com/confluence/display/HAP/Multi-User+Approval screenshots. 
If you refer to a sort of approval prioritization, I can clarify that it isn't.
The order of the approvals has not any importance respect to their processing.

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2015

Thanks a whole lot!! This explains a lot. If i were you i would link to your excellent youtube video, it also helped shed a lot of light on the simplest setup. Thanks a lot! smile

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2015

Antonella

I have a few questions you might be able to answer before the addition of further documentation

1. The "Bulk Approver" i.e Approval super-user: Can it only be one user, and not a group?
  2. In a scenario with a user requesting someone, and another one approving it am i good to use "New approval" rather than "New advanced approval"? Except that addition with doing AND or OR, what distinguish which approach i take?
  3. What the difference between setting the project in "Define Approval Administration" or in "Approval Mapping Administration"?
  4. What's the use of multiple approvals i see in the screenshot's? Is it for organizations that needs local approval by a manager, to be signed of a second time my a regional manager which in terms get signed by a global manager?

Thankful for response smile

0 votes
Antonella Capalbo
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2015

We are always intended doing better and every incoming suggestion is greatly appreciated.
As soon as possible we will:

• replace the screenshots having low resolution
  • add a new page, providing an Herzum Approval add-on main features overview.

Thanks for your interest in our add-on.

Best Regards,

Antonella

Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2015

Hi Antonella, And thanks for a fast response. I didn't expect an official answer from the vendor, nice to see. A few things that confuses me is the bad english in the plugin itself, an example can be seen in this: https://chicago.herzum.com/confluence/display/HAP/Configure+an+overall+Approval+Mapping?preview=/28909619/28969981/image2015-9-8%2013%3A38%3A47.png I assume you mean Yet and not Jet, but the rest of the sentence basically only refers back to the vague formulation done in the plugin. Either the person documenting it didn't know the plugin well enough to retro phrase and add understanding for the message they were trying to convey, or they know the plugin too well and thinks it is self-explanatory. Not being a native english-speaker myself i understand it might be hard to do this "right". My last recommendation would be to outsource the proof-reading of the documentation and the plugin to someone that has not been involved in writing the plugin, to make sure it makes sense and is easier to set up. This would have spotted the typos and made sure that every repetition of information would be re-formulated and add depth and instant understanding. We would very much like to purchase and use your plugin, but i am really struggling with understanding how the features would fit into our organization so a clean example of a change management process for a company that sells ice-creams or whatever would allow any organization to understand and adjust it to their specific needs a lot easier. Thanks for listening! :) Kind regards Jonas I would warmly

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events