Having a hard time understanding Screens, Screen schemes, mapping and associating. Please help?

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2015

Hi there,

I've managed to set up a quite default workflow with everything attached etc, but I didn't really inderstand what I was doing. I know somehow what is what, but I just don't get it on how to connect everything properly. 

I have to make a new one now (so including all the screens and field configuration etc) but I just don't get it how it works and where to start. Especially that last bit. It contains a whole new workflow and I have different issue types that have to have different screens and some issue types have to use an existing workflow. 

I am reading again all the info on the Atlassian site, but I was wondering if anybody could explain it more simple and short on how it works and where to start and which part to do before the other etc. 

Hope it's possible...!

Thank you smile

p.s. how should I interprete "mapping"? English is not my mother language. I understand associating, but what's the difference with mapping then?

(I have the old version from JIRA, don't know if that's Core or Software, sorry)

7 answers

1 vote
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2015

I faced the same question and created this: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/32985938. Hope it will help.

To make it simple:

Issue type scheme defines which issue types a allowed into given poject. And all other connect issue type in the given project with: Screens, workflows and field configuration.

About mapping. Lets see issue type Bug. For different situation you could need have different workflows for this issue type. This assotiation of issue type to specified workflow for given project is called mapping.

0 votes
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 23, 2015

Vera, issue type schemedefines which issue types are allowed into a projecr. Other schemes assotiate something with these types. Workflow scheme assotiate a workflow with each issue type, screen scheme assotiate screens. Is allows you to have one issue type, for example Bug, and different workflow into different projects. Is it clear?

0 votes
Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 23, 2015

Why do you add issue types in the issue type screen scheme if you associate the issue types in issue type scheme? It's very confusing...

0 votes
Andre Lehmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2015

Here is also a really huge overview: http://www.communardo.de/home/techblog/files/2012/04/JIRA_Concepts.pdf

Old, but still works...

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 22, 2015

Wow, that's huge indeed! Tnx.

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2015

Hi Vera,

You have probably found this section of the Atlassian documentation site  (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFEVAL/1.+Getting+Started
Whilst there are a little dated in terms of the version of JIRA being demonstrated the principles are all sound and it can provide you with a good foundation.

Mapping is really the same as associating in the context of JIRA it just means that what you are doing is taking a configuration and saying when to use those particular configurations. For example you might map a single workflow to multiple issue types or have unique workflows for each issue type. This is the mapping you set up in the scheme.

Hope this helps

Phill

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 22, 2015

Well, I'm not a beginner as you can read, so I was talking about the specific pages about screens etc. Tnx for the clearing about mapping.

0 votes
Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2015

In the examples, Create, View and Edit are Operations. Create is a screen, but Edit is the same and View probably to (don't know what that does).
When you have transitions in your workflow, you need screens for that too, right? 

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2015

Create - is a screen, which an user will see when creates an issue. View - is defines which fields will be shown when issue is just open Edit - is a screen which appears when an user press "Edit button", namely - field list, that user with edit right coud edit. For any transition you can also specify any screen. For example, if you have a bug and a user have to specify the date when it will be fixed.In this case you need to create a sreen with a filed for this date and assign this screen to a transition. But if an user do not need do fill any fields just do not assing any screen for transition.

0 votes
Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2015

I have the thought that you should work backwards? Defining which fields you want on which screen, and then look which screens can be put together in a screen scheme to have a 1 thing you can attach to an operation. 

Hmm, which now looks like you should take an operation and see what you want for fields on the associated screen for it...

Right...???

And then...???

Suggest an answer