• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Has anyone used Jira for anything other than agile software development? We are looking to use Jira for workflow management and incident management. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Has anyone used Jira for anything other than agile software development? We are looking to use Jira for workflow management and incident management. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Nikhil Gupta October 20, 2015

Hi,

We are in the midst of a big workflow management project and were wondering if there are any use cases for using JIRA as a workflow management tool or incident management tool instead of the typical agile software development tool? We intend to map our business process onto a tool.

Example of our process would be: Getting request (Email or a standard form built in Jira?), working on the request, passing it on to other teams, tracking the status and having reporting capabilities.

2 answers

2 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2015

Yes you certainly can. JIRA is flexible enough to do whatever workflow you like, JIRA Agile (the add-on for Agile management) is just one of them. You get it all with just one tool.

There is a plugin JEMH  (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.javahollic.jira.jemh-ui) for handling issues via email and a lot more add-ons you can choose from to help you on your everyday life. Take a look at JIRA Service Desk (JSD) too.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2015

JIRA Core (which JIRA Software builds upon) is a good base for many types of process management as it's essentially a workflow and field engine. I've helped people using it for resource/asset tracking, project planning (mostly for technical projects but even for organising a wedding), delivery tracking, and yes, even hooked it up to a coffee machine. So, yes, you can use it for all sorts of things.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2015

You got me on the coffee machine. Now drooling for some Tanzania peaberry...

0 votes

I'm using it for

• controlling my smarthome
  • message and command queue and log
  • development
  • home-task list

So yeah, JIRA can be used for a huge variation of things :)

Suggest an answer