Go to another step in workflow when somebody comment issue

csuc May 4, 2016

Hi

Is possible to go to another step in workflow when a user comment in issue?

2 answers

1 vote
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2016

You might also be able to use the JIRA Automation Plugin.

csuc May 5, 2016

Hi

I tried this plugin and I can execute workflow transition when someone add a comment.

The problem is that if someone add a comment always try to execute the transition, and if the issue is in a state without this transition an even log error appears like 

"It seems that you have tried to perform a workflow operation (XX) that is not valid for the current state of this issue (TEST-63). The likely cause is that somebody has changed the issue recently, please look at the issue history for details."

I don't find how to set the state on the rule condition.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2016

The toolkit option lets you say "only when in status X"

csuc May 5, 2016

thanks!! I'll try Toolkit

Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2016

Yes try toolkit, it will probably be easier. I think you might be able to achieve what you need to Automation plugin too but I think it would mean adding JQL to the automation condition to filter out the issues that are in statuses where the transition is not valid.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2016

Yes, but you need code.

You'll need to find or write a "listener" that can pick up "issue commented", examine the issue to see what status it is in, and hence which transition to use, and then execute that transition.

There is one in the JIRA Toolkit add-on which might work for you (it's original intention was "reopen an issue when a user comments on a closed one", but it's a lot more flexible and works for any status)

Suggest an answer