Giving remote team access to only Defects

Marc Coughlan January 27, 2016

HI 

I would like to give an external vendor access to my JIRA project but I don't want them to have access to any other project.  We have a cloud based solution and I would like the vendor to be able to access defects only.  I have created a project with issue type defects only, the project has the default permission scheme set so I was wondering what I needed to do to change this scheme so they only have the limited access.

Any help appreciated.

2 answers

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2016

An alternative to the proposal from @Vasiliy Zverev is to think about the implementation of a security scheme. One way to achieve this is as follows.

1. Define a role for your vendors in the project
  2. Create a security scheme that has two levels (or more if you require) 
    1. vendors access (user is in role vendor)
    2. general access
  3. Then when an issue is raised of type defect set the security level to "Vendor" by the use of a post-function.

This solution is slightly more flexible as you can then open up access to other issue types if required by setting the security level to vendor.

0 votes
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2016

We are doing the follows to restrict access for outer users:

• we have a custom field "External user"
  • into permission scheme we get proper permission basing on this custom field

To allow all access to all issue with type "Defect" you can create a post function to fill this field with requared value.

Suggest an answer