Getting the Sub-Tasks to appear on initial click on Scrum Board

Shariyar Rashid-Qazi October 10, 2016

Sub Task .1.JPGSub Task .2.JPG

When clicking on an issue/task on a scrum board, it generates a small dashboard to the right which lists "details, people, estimates" etc etc (Whatever assigned to the task). I'm having difficulty with allowing it to show the sub-tasks however (As shown above). Is it possible to get it to show "Sub Test 1.1" and "Sub Test 2.1" in said dashboard, or any other sub-tasks that may be added in future? (Instead as you can see it displays "2 sub-tasks are being filtered by the board's Saved Filter")

Assuming it may be something to do with the "Saved Filter", I had a check, but still not too sure. Any help is most appreciated.

4 answers

3 votes
George Dinkov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2016

Hi,

The problem is that the board's saved filter filters out the sub-tasks. You'll need to change the saved filter's query to allow them to show.

Hi thank you for the reply, I am still quite new to Jira, and have yet to touch on this. Can you advise what query will allow it to show? 

Or alternatively where I can learn about JIRA filter queries

George Dinkov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2016

You can learn more about filers here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/configuring-a-board/configuring-filters 

And about the queries - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/advanced-searching-764478330.html

If you share your query I may be able to help you fix it.

Thank you kindly! I'll have a study and try it out 

Shariyar Rashid-Qazi October 12, 2016

Hi again, I'm still a fair bit unsure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the links you provided only demonstrate how to filter a search. What I'm after is getting the Sub-tasks to show on the second image instead of it saying "2 Sub-Tasks are being filtered by the boards Saved-filter". (They show fine when you click on the task as shown on the first image, would just like it on the initial scrum board view for convenience)

Sorry if you were right to suggest what you did, just having a hard time getting to grips with it.

George Dinkov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 12, 2016

The "Saved Filter" is a normal JIRA filter with JQL query. You need to navigate to this board's "Saved Filter" and edit the JQL query in a way that would show the sub-tasks (you can use the links above to help you with this).

0 votes
Umulamahri June 26, 2021

The problem is similar, and adjusting the filter did not help. Rather, it is correct, since when viewing the data of filtration results, these tasks are in the results.
I wanted to identify dependencies - there is no dependency - two subtasks with the same properties (type, component, assignee) in one task are displayed, in another task they are marked as filtered.

0 votes
Robert Buzink January 18, 2021

Just add

AND issuetype in (story, sub-task)

to the query of the boards' saved filter to explicitly include subtasks. They are excluded by default.

0 votes
Richard Cross December 1, 2016

Couple of things to check:

1.  Check that all issue types in your project really are using the same workflow - sometimes it looks like they are from the "Workflows" page in your Project Administration view, but click on the "Issue types" link to be absolutely sure.
  2. I found that using a custom workflow broke my board view - changing it to use the "Software Simplified Workflow" fixed it.

Suggest an answer