General JIRA Usage with large attachments

Deleted user November 4, 2016

Hi everyone

This is not a specific question, but I'm hoping to get some input as to how my small department is using JIRA.

A year ago, we started using JIRA and we were very happy with the many options and how fast we could adapt it to our needs. We have a server hosted at a company near us and everything has been working great.

This summer, it was decided to try and use JIRA, not only as our workflow, but also as a database for the many files we use in our production. Files, which often are around 1gB.

Being a bit worried, by this sudden influx of large files (1gB-file to around 1000 issues and rising) I asked our hosting company, if they saw any problems with this approach. They did not.

Fast forward to now, our JIRA instance is running very poorly. Originally, we had simply run out of disk space, but after increasing that this week, we are still facing performance issues. For more info, we have around 30.000 issues in total, 100 custom fields and around 1000-2000 issues with large attachments and rising.

I asked our hosting company, to look into increasing the performance on the server our JIRA instance is running from, but they charge a significant price for this.

My question is then:

Do you consider our use of JIRA, as production database, as a good idea?

It is reasonable to continue down this road and upgrading our server?

Will the server upgrade even fix the problems of bad performance, or is there underlying architecture in JIRA, that makes it bad at handling this way of using it?

If this question is not meant for this board, I am sorry.

/Nikolaj

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2016

For the last years i scrutinized every such request.

JIRA is a ticket system, not a fileserver and every tweak made (if only to increase attachment sizes from 10mb to 11mb) this will have an exponential effect, make stuff like backups, migrations, mirroring to test environments and upgrades a living hell. You are much better of adding a custom field that points to a network/samba/cifs/ftp/scp/git-repo path than actually including it all in the attachment directory.

Just my 5 cents, other people might not agree.

Deleted user November 4, 2016

Hi Jonas

Thanks for your input. I will definitely look into your suggestion! This will also make it easier for me to make a case for my superiors smile

Our hosting company didn't agree, but I fear they were not the most impartial source, since whatever added cost we have, directly improves their bottom line....

/Nikolaj

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2016

I'm with Jonas on this - JIRA is not a file storage system.  If you have large files, a proper file store and linking is definitely the way to do it.

Deleted user November 6, 2016

Ok, thanks for your input Nic smile

I'll look into a solution like "network/samba/cifs/ftp/scp/git-repo".

Deleted user November 7, 2016

A followup question: Doesn't JIRA Confluence "solve" our problems? Or is it maybe too extensive, just for file storage.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2016

Conflluence is not a file storage system either.  It's good if you import the data and convert it to proper pages, but uploading large binaries is the same for Confluence as JIRA.

Deleted user November 7, 2016

Ok, thanks again Nic!

I'm very grateful for your help smile

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2016

We have customers using 500MB attachments in JIRA and Confluence, so it works. But we don't recommend it due to maintenance headaches. Options such as Box are better for this

umairjabbar December 3, 2020

Hi,

Are there any available plugins to integrate a storage service within Jira so that the experience for end user is straightforward and files can be uploaded and linked in the ticket interface

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2020

Inside Jira - no, because you'll have exactly the same problems with it that you do with the current one.  It's not the code lacking file-handling here, its the architecture of the server making it hard or impossible.

But if you want to integrate with external file stores (i.e. Jira running as one service, file store as another), then yes, there are quite a few - MattS already mentioned Box, but there are several apps for linking Jira into file stores.

Best thing to do is select a list of good file stores that works for you (ignoring Jira for now), and then look through the marketplace to see if there is a connector app for it for Jira.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events