Fundamental of how we should be using Jira

Deleted user May 30, 2016

We have been using JIRA for a little while now and would like to understand if what we are doing is the most the effective way to use it

We have a product that is made up of 2 components (Component A and Component B). These components can be released independently to customers. Some clients may use Component A but not B

Each of the components has it's own Bitbucket repository.

A User Story (US) may require changes to 1 or more components.

We currently have a single US that covers all components.

Is this the best way to do it or should we have a US for each Component

I tried to automate the transition of the US from In Progress to Awaiting Review based on the being a pull request raised. I have the Components configured in JIRA but they are not linked in anyway to the Bitbucket repositories.

When a pull request is raised for Component A it moved the issue to Awaiting Review even though there are Changes to Component B pending and not ready to Pull yet. I know why but I am not sure how I can automate correctly

Fix Version. Should I uniquely identify  the Fix version to the component. We may do a release where the components have different versions. 

Currently we are developing 1.0.00

I can see in a year Comp A could be on 1.1.05 and Comp B could be on 1.1.10

Should the versions be A1.1.05 and B1.1.10

If not then the Fix version should contain (1.1.05 and 1.1.10) how do I link this back to the version in the Repo?

Can someone point me to a best practice guide.

Thanks

Ron

1 answer

0 votes
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2016

It sounds to me like you have two separate products, each with their own lifecycle and release versions.

This would suggest to me that you would be better to have them managed in two separate projects, or at the very least have User Stories per component.

Separate projects would be cleaner in my view. Do separate teams work on each component?

Chris

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events