Fun email tickets into Jira

Chris Nokes October 22, 2015

Hi,

I need to Email Bugs into my JIRA system (Atlassian hosted). We use gmail here, but they use our domain name so I created 'jira@lostmy.name' gmail account to facilitate this. The email we want to use NEEDS to be part of our domain like @lostmy.name 

However this user is part of a distribution list called 'everyone' and so a lot of noise is being created in JIRA as a result of this user receiving emails aimed at everyone in the company.

If I created a Distribution list instead this will also fail I believe, since the account needs and inbox and login credentials.

How can I achieve this with Jira's functionality being what it is?

2 answers

0 votes
Chris Nokes October 23, 2015

It sounds like we'll be OK then, since we're using Gmail's out of the box features and the header is likely set. I was concerned when I saw a number of emails get turned into Tickets. I'll keep an eye on it for now.

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2015

Hi Chris,

Including your JIRA mailbox in a distribution list servicing the whole company is bound to end in junk email in JIRA, really, don't do that!

The 'best' way to address this is to ensure that mails sent in this way have "Precedence: bulk" set as a mail header, which indicates content is of an automated nature.   Default JIRA Cloud nail handlers and JEMHC are both able to filter out bulk messages in that way.

If you are not able to set the header, then you have more options with JEMHC:

1.  If your generated mails follow some rules about subjects, eg prefixing with "NOTICE:" or similar, JEMHC can auto-drop those (a bit like Out Of Office type messages)
  2. If the sender of these mails is consistent, a system, an broadcast account etc, JEMHC can block those by sender too.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events