Fresh Install of Service Desk 3.5.0 on Jira 7.3.6 fails due to upgrade error

Frank Seebach June 8, 2017

Hi, i have a Jira Core 7.3.6 installation (Upgraded over the Time from Version 6.5.x via 7.2.1 to 7.3.6) and now i want to install Service Desk onto this installation. I have downloaded the 3.5.0 .obr file, uploaded it and installed via Applications. After creating the first SD Project i ran into the "Could not render..." Sidebar error. Looking into the logs (Jira and Servicedesk) i can see the Upgrade Error which is described here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/after-upgrading-to-jira-service-desk-3-2-0-service-desk-project-s-navigation-bar-shows-unable-to-render-element-due-to-an-error-845943102.html

But since i did not make an update non of the solutions could work in my environment. 

I also tried to switch the project from Servicedesk to Business and back -> Problem still the same.

Then i deleted the project and all related stuff, uninstalled the servicedesk application and installed a 3.0.0 servicedesk release via the same way. Then it says that the SD Version is not compatible with the core version and i have to update it. I used the integrated update function in the applications section of jira core. The update finished without any error in the gui, but the servicedesk log shows the same error (2.5.9 version of Service Desk cannot be upgraded to 3.5.0-REL-0008) and my projects do not work.

Any suggestions how i can install the Servicedesk. 

I also made the installation on an other Jira instance (Jira Software 7.3.6 with SD 3.5.0) and there are no errors. 

As i am on the 7.3.6 Version for quite a while now i am not able to install a 7.1.x Version and install an old backup because then i will loose all the changes since then. 

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 8, 2017

Hi Frank,

It appears Service Desk may have been installed at some point which created the AO tables for Service Desk.  Since it was not upgraded according to the JIRA Service Desk 3.2.x release notes you're seeing the rendering error when you installed 3.5.

At this point there is a feature request for this issue that you can find at JSDSERVER-4732.  You may want to see the comment by David Yu for a possible workaround.

Please vote on this issue as it will add impact and provide you with any updates when they become available. 

Going forward I would recommend reaching out to the JIRA Support team for further assistance with the upgrade and installing JIRA Service Desk.

Cheers,

Branden

Frank Seebach June 9, 2017

Hi Branden, thx for the fast reply. I will try this one out and post feedback. 

Frank Seebach June 9, 2017

I followed the Link to JDServer-4732 and used the newest drop script to drop and clear the tables. 

Install of Servicedesk fails with the same error (version could not...)

Then i digged around a lot and think that i found all AO Tables that are associatet with any kind of servicedesk plugin parts. 

I also extracted the jars inside the obr and checked the database scripts so that i think i have deleted all Tables.

I also checked the filesystem for any reference or hint to servicedesk or a late installation.

in AO_54307E_SERVICEDESK there was a row wich shows that there was a 2.5.9 installation present in 2015. 

But i deleted the table also. 

So all should be gone.

But a install still fails.

Any further ideas?

greetings 

frank.

Suggest an answer