For the same issue type (Epic or Story), where do you control which fields appear?

Donell Peters January 11, 2016

I keep going in circles with the Screens, and Schemes and can not figure out how to control fields for the same issue type that is shared between projects.  For one project a field appears, but in another it does not.  Where is this configured?

6 answers

0 votes
Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2016

If I understand correctly:

• You have a project set up the way you want it (project A). 
  • You have another project (project B) you want to look the same as project A.

You should be able to go into the administration section of Project B and change it to use the same issue type Scheme(s) as Project A. On my version of JIRA (yours may differ), you go into project administration, click on Issue types, then click on the "Actions" button in the upper right hand corner of the issue types panel.

0 votes

I created an Issue Type Scheme, Issue Type Screen Scheme and Field Configuration Scheme, applying all to a new project. I then compared the fields in the Issue Types to a project that uses different Screens and Schemes.  I want to know exactly where to go with the new project I setup to enable the fields on the issue types to match.  I can't figure it out.  

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2016

Can you please provide a screenshot or something? This is really difficult to understand via text. I'd recommend playing around with this in a sandbox environment before attempting to launch a project for a production system.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2016

I think Doug has pointed you in the right direction.

• For each project, you can assign Issue Types in the Issue Type Scheme.
  • For each Issue Type, you can assign groups of Screens (screen schemes) in the Issue Type Screen Schemes.
  • For each Screen Scheme, you can assign Screens.

This doesn't cover everything (Field Behaviors and Transition Screens) but this is a good start. If you want these projects to have the same fields, they could share Issue Type Scheme, Issue Type Screen Scheme, and Field Configuration Schemes.

0 votes
Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2016

Donell,

This article might help you understand the relationships between screens and screen schemes and issue type screen schemes: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/configuring-fields-and-screens-187859099.html

The mapping of which screen schemes are in use for a particular project are found by looking at the administration screens for your project. 

Atlassian has created a flexible and confusing model. To make it harder to understand you need to understand the different between an Issue Type Screen Scheme and a Screen Scheme.

Take a look at that article. If it doesn't answer your question, it may still help you more precisely formulate your question so we can help you better.

0 votes

There are issue types common across projects such as Epics or Stories. When I look in one project at the fields available for EPIC or STORY, they are different than in another project. What screen or scheme controls what fields appear in an issue type on a per project basis?

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2016

Hello, can you be more specific about what you cannot find? I'd love to help but JIRA administration isn't a simple topic so I'd like to be sure to lead you in the right direction.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events