Fix Version Field

Corinna Führing January 18, 2016

Hello, i first wanted to delete Fix Version Field but than I heard that Releases are assigned to Fix Version fiedl and the automatic release Report of JIRA i think too ?! So maybe it s no good Idea to clear it s values....but Manager does not want developers to see this field, since he want s to avoit that developers plan it s tasks to the latest...so is it really necessary to keep this field (because of Release reports from Jira), and could we hide it ( it s a system field, so that nobody can see it nore change it s dates) but we still have it available for our Release reports from JIRA system ?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2016

That's a really odd way to work, and I'm not sure how else you would want to do releases.

If you want the release reports, then yes, you need the version field.  You also need to put data in it, and that's the job of the developers - "we're aiming to fix this in release X, ok it's resolved, so we have".  A manager should not actually be interfering in that - they can set the aspirational date like any other developer, but if a dev is saying "this is not fixed", the manager's opinion on when it goes into a release is irrelevant, because it's not ready.

But, if you do want this level of mirco-management and inaccuracy (that's just my opinion on the approach), you could remove it from the "edit" screen, and place it on a "transition" screen.  Then have transitions in your workflow that go through that screen and have a "condition" of "managers only"

Corinna Führing January 18, 2016

hmm ok..so right now i do only have my Default screen for this type of Issues and Fix Version is not on it but I can seet it on my screen, (but thats normal in System fields). So i should create Edit Screen for this Issue Type and remove it there, than i could still see it in my Issue Type but nobody could change it.. ?! is that right so far ?!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2016

Not quite

If you want to go with the transition solution, then forget the default screen, and others, and start again with a clean approach.

1. Create a new screen with fix version on it
  2. Go to the workflow and edit it
  3. Add a new transtion that goes from <status x> back to <status x>
  4. Edit it so that it uses the new screen
  5. Add a condition that "only <manangers> can use this transition"
Corinna March 16, 2016

But the normal way is...i have a Fix Version field...my developers put in when they developed their codes.........the integrator to which Fix Version he integrated it ,.....and the Tester to which Fix Version he tested it...............and than manager creates a report out of that and can send a monthly update to customer...ok this was done.....but what about planning......where is my planned release date..because customer wants to know about plan.........also......so if i fill out Fix Version field when it was actually done.....where can i have my filed on base of which i do my "Planning" reports to customer...to say...this is our actual plan....???!!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2016

I'm not sure I understand that.  Fix version in JIRA is "when we plan to deliver" and then becomes "the version we delivered it in" when the issue has been delivered.  If it can't be done in that version, the fix version should be changed to reflect the new version.

That's pretty much it.  Your planned release dates should probably be based on the version information, and you use them to inform planning of what your teams are going to try to deliver next, but that's it.  You can put the release dates on the versions to plan them of course.

Corinna March 17, 2016

ok I got it thanks !!

Suggest an answer