Filtered Cascading Select list?

Timothy Harris January 28, 2016

I have a scenario where we there a select list provided by a plugin (thousands of entries). This makes selection a big pain.

One way to handle this could be to use a filtered cascading select list. This field should take either a static list of parent options or an existing select list as options for the parent list. Each option under a parent could then take a select list with the option to filter the list based on a regex. So the requirements would look something like this.

Type: Cascading Select list

Parent Entry:

• Must be able to create a static list of entries.
  • Must be able to select an existing select list as entries
  • Must be able to filter the entries if existing select list field is chosen

Child Entry:

• Same requirements. 

Does anyone know of a plugin that provides such functionality?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2016

I'm pretty sure that "Behaviours" in the Script Runner add-on can do this sort of field linking.  But I'd consider converting to a cascading select first.

Thanks @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]. I will take a look at this.

0 votes
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2016

Have you tried to use standard "Select list (cascading)" custom field?

That is kind of my point. This is to static. I need to be able to create a cascading select list based on existing single select fields and filter them. 

So a Cascading select list of Customers as parent. When a parent is selected the child list only shows the entries from an existing single select list based on a filter. 

Parent = Bilka

--> Bilka Shop 1

--> Bilka Shop 2

--> Bilka Shop ...

The key here is that the list of shops is a custom field provided by another plugin. 

The problem is also that the existing single select list has thousands of entries. So I want to filter it based on the selection of the Parent.  

Suggest an answer