Filter to see tickets that have new comments

T S September 9, 2016

We are moving from Github issues to JIRA and I'm having trouble figuring out how I can look at all of my notifications in the JIRA board. 

Is there a way to see all Issues that I follow (or watch) that have been newly commented on? I saw a filter for pulling all watched tickets that have been updated in the past week, but that isn't very helpful. Throughout my work day I'd like to be able to log into JIRA and have a central spot of all the tickets that have been commented on since the last time I viewed the ticket.

Does anybody know if this functionality is available, or if there is another way to accomplish something similar? 

Thanks for helping out a JIRA newb smile

2 answers

0 votes
Eric Almquist September 9, 2016

I'm curious for JIRA Cloud how that's solved as well. We have JIRA Server with the Script Runner plugin. We have a Script Runner Behavior that flips the status from our tickets when a ticket is commented on by someone outside our group, so that's how we monitor tickets that are now actionable again.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2016

I don't understand why you want to limit it to commented on. I've seen many issues go through most of the workflow without a comment. Other fields are updated, but no comments made.

T S September 9, 2016

That's a good point Joe. I don't necessarily need to see only ones that have been commented on. Changes of status would be useful to. When I get in to work in the morning I want to be able to see a to do list of all tickets I have been mentioned in that need a response, and also be able to see any new comments/changes to tickets that I watch. I can't seem to find that in the JIRA. Put another way, I get an email every time someone comments or updates on a ticket I watch, I'd prefer not to sift through email and be able to see the stream of these comments/changes directly in Jira. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2016

The difficulty is the definition of "recent".   When you ask "changed since", you need to define a rule of the "since".  "When I last looked at it" is a start at an answer, but it's a bit woolly as you need to say what counts as a view.  Obviously, the full issue view, but then that means you're going to have to visit each issue to push it down your list.  Then there's the issue navigator, gadgets, boards, reports etc etc etc.  However, that's moot, as JIRA doesn't track views, so you can't do it anyway.

"Since yesterday" is a lot easier, run a filter for "updated < -1d" - that will catch any changes in the last 24 hours.

Suggest an answer